Five tips to keep your sex life going
SEX ISN’T ONLY FOR YOUNG PEOPLE, AND YOU KNOW IT. WHEN WE TALK ABOUT SEX, THERE ARE NO RULES, ASIDE FROM THOSE THAT YOU VOLUNTARILY DECIDE UPON IN YOUR PRIVATE LIFE. LET’S DISCUSS SOME TIPS TO KEEP YOU ACTIVE IN BED.
Many people are surprised that older women and men have sex, some are even “horrified” by the thought of it. A lot of the ignorance about sex and older people comes from the urgent need that we have to label people instead of taking them as we find them, and partly due to the deep cultural fear of ageing.
Senior citizens are people, and therefore there is a bit of everything. It’s absurd to think that they are a homogeneous group united by the fact that after reaching x years, by the art of magic their sexual activity and desire disappears. It is more likely the opposite. As we get older, we better understand what we like, dislike and with who, and it’s evident that the experience is pleasurable. This is valid for anything just as it is for sex. The range of sexual activity can go from “inexistent, and I don’t care” to “as much as possible”, and as with everything, there are people who are more passionate than others and some can even become very creative. Here are some tips:
- There is no rule regarding the age at which you should stop having sex. When is someone considered to be too old to have sex? I’ll tell you when that moment arrives. There is no fixed pattern, it depends on the moment of life of each person. It can occur between a 65-year-old with another person 20 years younger or sexual desire may disappear at 58 and then you may discover a new lease of life at 64.
- Sex is much more than just sex. The main sexual organ is the brain. Sex goes much further than the mere physical act (that, by the way, also counts as exercise). Love is created through looks, with words, speaking into your partner’s ear and with games. Whilst you are dancing you can be making love, or whilst you are laughing or stroking one another. There are millions of ways of having sex, the only problem is boredom.
- Also, you have much more time to have sex. This is another big advantage of being a senior. There are no longer teenagers at home, no burdens or worries about work. There is lot more time to share and enjoy. You can plan the details to prepare a special moment or go with an impulse and surprise yourself.
- There is nothing wrong with DIY (Do it yourself) It’s always good to know yourself to be able to relate more to others. Also, as with anything, practice makes perfect.
- If in doubt, ask. You can always go to health professionals to resolve any doubts or problems.