Five reasons to be connected
IN THE WORLD TODAY, THE INTERNET HAS BECOME A NEW SPACE FOR ALL OF THE SPHERES OF DAILY LIFE. BEING CONNECTED LETS YOU EXPLORE NEW WAYS OF BEING INFORMED, OF LEARNING, SHOPPING OR PAYING BILLS, DIFFERENT FORMS OF ENTERTAINMENT AND MANY MORE THINGS.
Young people today at 26 years of age are considered to be the first generation of digital natives. They have been born into and grown up in a world that has been transformed by the entrance of new information and communication technologies. They are therefore “natives” in the language of computers, videogames and the internet and have skills and ways of communicating between them that are difficult to understand for previous generations or digital migrants. It now doesn’t surprise us to see a 4-year-old who can use the latest generation of smart phones, tablets or laptops with ease.
This new generation gap generates a clear impact on social inclusion, where those people who do not have access to the internet or don’t know how to use it, run the risk of being excluded from the new ways of participating and interacting on a social level. However, this gap is closing progressively. More and more seniors are also connected and have discovered a new world of interests through their telephones, mobiles or tablets. If you need a little push to explore this world, below, we present five reasons why you should be connected:
- It prevents loneliness. A tablet or computer screen lets you see your family or Friends, even though they aren’t physically nearby. You can speak to them and see them on a videoconference, or share moments and photos with them through social networks. You can start new relationships, get to know other people and find conversations that interest you in forums.
- Discover new hobbies. On the internet you can find everything. Anything that you like or interests you. It can help you to achieve what you want to achieve in this new stage of your life with new ideas, resources, contacts or tools that are within hands reach.
- Do business. Maybe, whilst searching for new hobbies, you may identify an opportunity to become an entrepreneur. Perhaps you have an undiscovered skill to develop web pages, or the creativity to create a blog or a video channel that could go viral and attract millions of followers. It’s even possible for you to, as they say in this world, “monetise” the content and find a new way to bring in some extra money.
- Have your say. Internet is also a cannel through which you can continue actively participating in public life, a speaker which you can use to continue to express your ideas and opinions, debate with others and share your experience.
- Continue learning. It has never been so easy to access knowledge, in all different formats. Images, videos, courses, documentaries, reports, statistics, manuals, technical procedures. An infinite library where you can find anything that you may need to continue learning.